AMC was formally established as an institute of the University of Tasmania in January 2008 in accordance with the Commonwealth government's Maritime Legislation Amendment Act 2007 following the repeal of the Maritime College Act 1978.
The AMC Board is responsible for strategic policy making and administrative direction within the context of the University Plan. The AMC Board oversees the Principal of AMC – Associate Professor Shuhong Chai. It reports to the University Council through the Vice-Chancellor of the University – Professor Rufus Black. It is also required to report annually to the Australian government. AMC Board membership is specified by the Act and comprises seven members who are appointed by the University Council. The Principal is also an ex officio member of the Board.
AMC Board meeting dates for 2018
- 8 March (Thursday) - AMC Sydney
- 30 May (Wednesday) - via phone/video
- 5 July (Thursday) - Adelaide (Venue TBC)
- 13 & 14 September (Thursday & Friday) - Sydney
- 5 December (Wednesday) - Launceston, AMC Board Room